Yields about 6 pancakes or waffles.
- 1 3/4ths cups buttermilk
- You can create buttermilk with milk a splash of white vinegar.
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 cups flour (all purpose, self-rising, cake)
- 1 heaping tbs baking powder
- 1 egg
- 20 g sugar
- 4 g vanilla extract
- 2 tbs butter
- If creating buttermilk, curdle milk with vinegar in a bowl by combining and letting sit for a few minutes while going through the following steps.
- Melt butter until softened but not fully melted in a microwave-safe bowl or measuring cup.
- Add sugar to butter container.
- Crack egg and separate the egg white from the yolk. Pour the yolk in the butter-sugar container, and the egg white in a separate bowl.
- Mix the yolk, butter, and sugar until combined.
- Beat the egg white until fluffy and white. You can use a mixer which should get it to a good consistency in a minute, or you can hand mix for a few minutes using a fork or whisk.
- Add the buttermilk (or curdled milk from step 1) to the yolk-butter-sugar mix. Lightly mix.
- If the mix is in a small measuring cup or bowl, pour it into a larger mixing bowl.
- Add baking powder to the bowl and lightly mix. The mixture should begin bubbling and foaming.
- Add baking soda and vanilla extract. Lightly mix.
- Add flour and lightly mix. Add more flour if the consistency isn't right, mixing as you go along until the consistency is good.
- Fold in the egg white to the mix.
- You're ready to cook!