[vegan] Simple and hearty side dish.
Serves 2-4 as a side.
- 1 can (15oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3-4 cloves garlic, diced or minced
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- drizzle of cooking oil
- 1-2 tsp lime juice, or juice of half of lime
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- Optional: substitute with other broths
- 2-4 drops liquid smoke
- Optional: 1/2 jalapeno pepper, minced
- Optional: and seeded
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/8 tsp chili powder or cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/8 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- salt to taste
- 1 sunny-side up egg per serving (optional; omit for vegan)
- chopped cilantro
Adjust all proportions to your liking.
- Heat a drizzle of oil in a medium saucepan at medium-low.
- Add seasonings. Heat for 30-60 seconds until fragrant, stirring frequently to prevent burning.
- Add garlic. Fry for 1-2 minutes until fragrant and a little brown, stirring often to prevent burning.
- Add onion. Fry for 1-2 minutes if crunchy texture preferred, or until caramelized (4-5 minutes?) if preferred.
- Add black beans and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil.
- Add liquid smoke. Let simmer for about 20 minutes. Add salt if needed.
- Serve with an optional egg and cilantro on top. Pairs well with rice or other Tex-Mex dishes.